February 6, 2012

The Ceramic Bowl that taught me something

A very dear, young woman in my life, my son’s boyfriend, made a beautiful ceramic bowl at Christmastime. When she showed me the bowl I begged her for it, but it was already earmarked for someone else. She must not have forgotten the incessant begging because she made me one almost identical to it for my birthday. Although she tried to replicate the original one, it wasn’t quite the same….it was better! It was personalized for me. She enscripted her name, my son and daughters names, as well as my favorite Bible verse (Jer. 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future).

Since I spend most of my time at work and I wanted to show it off, I decided I’d bring it to work and fill it with candy. Plus, I read somewhere that those with a candy dish on their desk make 10% more than others. I’m not really sure if that’s true or even if I believe it, but nonetheless it does give an open door to get to know people better.

Anyway, I put the dish on my desk and it’s interesting to hear the comments. It seems as if the women notice the dish, with statements like, “Wow, that’s pretty!”, “That’s cool, did your daughter make that?”, “How neat is that!” Yet the men have made statements about what’s in the dish- the candy, “Oh, yum. Candy!”, “Uh-oh, someone brought candy!”, “I’m stealing a piece.” 

Funny how we all see things differently; not bad, not good, just different. I’m glad I don’t see things the same as everyone else, it makes life in this world colorful and interesting. Although, that’s easy to say when it’s something as simple as noticing differences in a ceramic bowl, instead of big family issues.

DISCOVERING: Differences in the big and small things of life
BECOMING: Accepting of differences


No comments:

Post a Comment