January 5, 2012

One Word

Resolution is defined as:
1. The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination.
2. A resolving to do something.
3. A course of action determined or decided on.
Being resolute is a good thing, but making New Year’s Resolution is not MY thing. The thing that bothers me so much about resolutions is that when we don’t follow through, we make excuses and justifications for doing so. I can hardly judge, as I am guilty of doing this with not only resolutions, but other areas of my life (like speeding, spending and eating), but what’s aggravating about New Year’s resolutions is that at year’s end the only discussion is about next year’s list, with no regard to THIS year’s resolutions. I would think the last few weeks of the year would be a celebration of triumphs and even trials, sharing what we learned or how we grew from them. Unfortunately, most of us couldn’t even tell you what this year’s resolutions were unless we pulled the written list from the bottom of the stack of books and blew off the dust. The only reason I can share these cynical comments about New Year’s resolutions is because I was once there, myself. I did it one year and choose not to again. It seemed as if my resolutions made me feel worse about myself, instead of better, which defeats the whole purpose.
New Year, New Beginning: One thing I have decided to do is come up with a word. A word that will keep me focused on who I want to become, not only in 2012, but in the years to come. There’s no ‘to-do’ list I have to keep track of (or pull from the stack of books at year’s end), ill-feelings towards myself for not achieving something or any deadlines. I just get to focus and grow.
My Word!: Deeper. I want to grow deeper in my relationships with Christ, my family, my friends, co-workers and even strangers. I want to take the time to listen to the entire story my child is telling me (for the tenth time), I want to spend quality time with the Lord (not just read a few passages and be on my way), I want to talk to that co-worker that I pass in the hall every day, but never say a word to. Not that these are ‘to-do’s’, they are just examples of how I want to grow deeper in my personal relationships. Due to my insecurities, I tend to shy away from that. I keep things short, simple and shallow until I’ve known you for years. I’ve realized that by doing this, I’ve robbed myself and the other person of a possible friendship, healing, growth, a closer walk with the Lord…..the point is I’m robbing! I want to live a life of growing and giving, not taking and missing out on. So, my focus word for 2012 (and beyond) is Deeper. Whether you choose to do resolutions, a word, or neither, may we grow deeper in our friendship together!

DISCOVERING: how to have deeper relationships
BECOMING: less insecure

1 comment:

  1. anything less than a deeper relationship with you and your family will and is what I/we desire!!!! Tim Lewis

    ReplyDelete